The benefits of EID recording as a management tool for sheep farmers
EID recording gives you the opportunity to improve on-farm management and productivity by letting you collect information much more accurately and easily than you can achieve by manually recording information on paper.
This means you can more easily identify those sheep which are making the greatest contribution to your farm income and profitability, and those that are costing you money.
EID recording can deliver better profitability for your sheep business by:
- Improving the selection of stock for breeding.
- Improving the selection of stock for slaughter.
- Enabling the more effective use of veterinary medicines, eventually leading to improved flock health.
- Enabling you to achieve an economy of scale by managing a bigger flock, as well as the ability to assess the performance of individual animals.
- Enabling you to record extra information, for example lamb performance from different areas of your farm. This can help you to identify pastures where sheep are performing poorly. It can also help your reseeding plans and help to reduce reliance on bought-in feeds.
- Reducing waste and generating savings on waste disposal.
- Offering the opportunity for you to share information more easily with your vets so that they can have a greater understanding of your flock health needs.
- Offering the potential to use information that can improve the marketing of your stock.
Next on About EID - Achieving those benefits